Cindy grew up around here, and in the process she learned some Stanly County slang that I've never heard before. I grew up in Monroe, near New Salem; so I have a pretty well established arsenal of country slang, but she whips out phrases I've never heard all the time.

So I've decided to publish Cindy Slang exclusively on the Secret Blog. Leave a comment and let me know if you've heard these phrases before. I sure haven't. Also, let me know if you have any country slang of your own that you're particularly proud of.


Cindy Slang for September 15:

"Gully washer" - a heavy rain storm

"she could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer" - she's prone to tear things up

"he about laid a gold egg" - not really sure what this one means

"I was squawking" - I was crying

2 comments

  1. JB Williams on September 17, 2007 at 9:21 AM

    I've heard of a "gullywasher" and "I was sqwaking" Have you ever heard "That'll make a hound dog break his chain"? Meaning - it was really good. My mom always says that when she eats really good food!

     
  2. Matt Broadway on September 17, 2007 at 3:47 PM

    Never heard that before in my life.

    Keep 'em coming!